This turkey parmesan recipe is a great source of lean protein both from the turkey and the cheese. It also contains healthy monounsaturated fats in the form of olive oil.
Ingredients Courtesy Cenegenics Texas
2 cups low-sugar marinara sauce
½ cup pine nuts, coarsely chopped
1 oz. freshly grated Parmesan cheese (¼ cup)
½ tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 pound turkey cutlets, about ½ inch thick
2 tsp extra virgin olive oil
2 oz. shredded part-skim mozzarella cheese (½ cup)
Salt & ground black pepper
1. Heat oven to broil.
2. Bring sauce to low simmer in a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
3. Remove sauce from heat & cover to keep warm.
4. Stir together pine nuts, Parmesan & Italian seasoning in a wide, shallow dish.
5. Season turkey on both sides with salt & pepper then dredge both sides in the nut mixture, pressing to adhere.
6. Heat oil in a large non-stick skillet over medium-low heat.
7. Add turkey & cook until coating is golden brown & juices run clear, about 4 minutes per side. If nuts brown too quickly, reduce heat.
8. Place turkey in a baking pan, top evenly with mozzarella & broil until cheese melts, about 30 seconds.
Spoon ½ cup of warm sauce on each plate & top each with a piece of turkey